5 Oct 2009

Gracias a la Vida

A friend just posted this on his Facebook and I wanted to share it... this is such a beautiful song! One of the ones I grew up with, a friend of ours in Mexico used to sing it (accompanying herself with the guitar) quite frequently. It brings back fond memories. I have a version on my ipod that's a duet with Joan Baez...

Gracias a la Vida by Violeta Parra performed by Mercedes Sosa:



Here's a translation for the final verse:

Gracias a la vida que me ha dado tanto
Thanks to life which has given me so much
Me ha dado la risa y me ha dado el llanto
It has given me laughter and tears
Asi yo distingo dicha de quebranto
So I can distinguish happyness from sadness
Los dos materiales que forman mi canto
The two materials that compose my song
Y el canto de ustedes que es mi mismo canto
And your song which is the same as mine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Yes you! The quiet one in the back... I'd love it if you hung out for a bit and shared your thoughts!

I might stop by your place with an answer, but I'm more likely to reply right here so click on "email follow up comments" if you'd like to see what I and others have to say and come continue the conversation! ;o)