4 Sept 2009

Fishy Fridays: and so it begins...

Hello, hello, HELLOOOOOO!

I'm feeling kind of fishy today (and no not smelly, I promise I have showered recently!)... I went down to the Liège Aquarium this morning (website will be available in English as soon as I finish translating it! oops!) to re-acquaint myself with its aquatic inhabitants, and simultaneously introduce them to a bunch of 5th and 6th graders. FUN! Was one of those groups of kids that makes guiding a real pleasure and their interesting Qs&As brought the visit to the 2h mark! :o)

So, in honour of that, and just because I like the sound of the name (aren't alliterations fun?!), I'm going to try and be organised enough to launch (and maintain) a series of posts called FISHY FRIDAYS. Need I specify the subject of said posts? Well ok, FISH! :p
Hmmm... maybe not just fish... sometimes I might diverge into other marine/freshwater critters or some aquatic ecosystems. Just being back in the city where I'm supposed to be doing my PhD brings my marine biologist side bubbling back to the surface and I need to find a way to release all those bubbles before they burst my English-teaching balloon (I'll be teaching English these 3 months, to science students).

I might share some scuba memories, I might laugh over an Aquarium anecdote, I'll probably end up introducing you to most of the inhabitants of the Liège Aquarium (at least while I'm here), and I'll send you along to other pages with interesting fishy tidbits! For example, ever thought about Sea Cucumbers? Despite their name (how on earth did they get it by the way?) they're not actually aquatic plants!!! These critters are related to sea urchins and starfish (all echinoderms) and brittle stars (see photo below),


and the blog Mauka to Makai has a pretty cool and informative post up about them, go check it out here! And for some squishy images and cooking info from Squidoo go here.

If anyone else wants to join me in this latest zaniness please feel free to do so! I can coordinate the posts like with the Oceanic Blog-A-Thon and so send some more people back your way! You can share a favourite fishy story, a food, a phobia, a photo... Join in one week, keep quiet the next, do as you please! In any case I'll try to be here weekly.

And now I'm going to go work on finishing translating that website! :p

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm - Good idea - I might just want to participate in Fishy Fridays. Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun over the next three months :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me confused for a minute there - there's an old Catholic tradition of eating fish (not meat) on Friday, so for a minute I thought you were posting about my Dad's cooking! :) I'm looking forward to your posts - I love aquariums (aquaria?!) and I think fish are gorgeous (as well as tasty)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Juliette you remind me of once upon a time when we actually respected that tradition at home and then dropped it because cooking fish isn't precisely one of my dad's many talents! :P I hadn't thought about that in a long time... double meaning for fishy friday then! (particularly for anyone sharing a fishy recipe)

    Dive Girl, I thought you might! Particularly if you're planning on dipping your fins in the water soon... ;o)
    And sure, there's lots of fun to be had here, I'll just have to be careful not to lose myself too much in it or I won't get any work done! :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodie, Fishy Friday sounds fun to me! I've been working on a post that I think will be perfect for it, so I'll link up next week for sure. I just have to make sure my old brain remembers this, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Yes you! The quiet one in the back... I'd love it if you hung out for a bit and shared your thoughts!

I might stop by your place with an answer, but I'm more likely to reply right here so click on "email follow up comments" if you'd like to see what I and others have to say and come continue the conversation! ;o)