5 Jun 2009

Oceanic Blog-A-Thon update

Hello to all participants!

I trust you're looking forward to an enjoyable weekend?! As most of my friends around here seem to be busy with family obligations (end of year school shows, exams, weddings etc.) I'll have plenty of time (in between Roland Garros finals, go Roger!!!) to work on my World Oceans Day post... at least I hope it will be plenty of time because I can't seem to make up my mind between several options! :p

Just wanted to share an update. Yesterday I announced our Blog-A-Thon on The Ocean Project website, among their list of 2009 World Oceans Day events (click here). So hopefully we might be able to cast a slightly wider net of participants... who knows?

Before I sign off, just a reminder of what to do:
  1. Prepare a post on your Blog on the Seas / Oceans. It can be about this year's theme "One Ocean, One Climate, One Future" or something else entirely. You can share your maritime experiences, tell us how the seas inspire you, write a quirky tail sorry tale, or illustrate your blog with marine photos (or whatever else takes your fancy!).
  2. Include a link back to the main Ocean Blog-A-Thon post here which I will have up and running some time Sunday night (GMT) so your readers will know where to go look for other Oceanic posts and can have access to the wide variety (I hope!) of inspiring posts we'll all be writing.
  3. Leave me a comment here or send me an email (crazycrisb at ymail dot com) with your post's address so I can include and link to it in the main Oceanic Blog-A-Thon post and so send readers back to you.
As for something relatively simple you can do in "the real world", The Ocean Project proposes you Wear Blue and Tell Two! The idea being that you wear blue and tell people two things they don't know about the ocean and two ways they can take action (shouldn't be a problem for me, half the clothes I own are blue! Now if they had chosen pink or orange... *shudder*). Hmmm... I get the feeling my poor Monday afternoon English student is going to get a crash course in Marine Biology! ;o)

I'm really looking forward to this. I hope you all have as much fun with this as I am! And I hope it helps us and our readers become more aware of the importance of the seas.

Cheers!
CrazyCris

12 comments:

  1. I've got to get busy! I'm looking forward to learning as well as exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/6/09 17:05

    This is such a nice project Cris. It should bring out some interesting writing, and I can't wait! I don't know what I'll do yet, but I know it will come to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cris, thanks for stopping by. Divesting one of doubt and fear has been a journey of Praise - it has marked many a tear and many a joy. Once aware of what holds us in bondage, confront and resolve become the liberators. This is what APOGEE Poet is all about. Blessings for all you do - as with our oceans - life itself is a sea of currents, tides and cresting waves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are always open to you educating us on what we can do to start becoming activists for the oceans, Chris. Thanks for doing this. It will be great. I can't wait to read what everyone writes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris - how about telling us something we can tell people that they can do (when we wear blue) - most of us really have no idea what we can do for the oceans. Maybe a little list of ideas this weekend sometime?

    yay - this is fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/6/09 23:07

    I agree with Lover of Life. Would love ideas on how we can do something for the ocean on small and large scale. Looking forward to taking part on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose, thanks for the encouragement! Unfortunately identifying what keeps us back is only half the battle, I've found the next step much harder to take (and maintain).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear!
    I'm going to have to do some deep thinking on that one guys! I've always been more of an ocean lover than an activist, more dedicated to contemplation and study. In spite of having moved around a lot I haven't been around many highly active ecological people and I've frequently wondered myself how one gets involved in such groups...

    I'll see what I can come up with this weekend and try and get something useful up by Sunday! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6/6/09 00:03

    Yes Cris, please do some deep-sea thinking for us!!!
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got my post ready on NeoLibrarium and I have it scheduled to post on the 8th so a link to the main site will be all that's necessary.
    I'm also going to prepare a post on my personal blog, but I haven't got it ready yet! It will be there by Monday! I'll be sure and link both of them back to your post once you've got it ready ;)
    I've had fun getting the posts ready!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you've got it done already?! I'm still trying to figure out the photos I want for one of my blogs... haven't started working on the other one yet!

    but whatever delays with my post, the main post to put them all on will be up at just past midnight on June 8th... midnight my time so early evening on Sunday for you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. CrazyCris- Its Josh from Sci-Phi. Below is the link to my post:
    http://sciphijoshbrian.blogspot.com/2009/06/oceans-returning-to-ancient-friend.html

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Yes you! The quiet one in the back... I'd love it if you hung out for a bit and shared your thoughts!

I might stop by your place with an answer, but I'm more likely to reply right here so click on "email follow up comments" if you'd like to see what I and others have to say and come continue the conversation! ;o)